Default mail account in Outlook

I did a mail merge to e-mail in Outlook 2016 on Windows 10. Before i did this i ensured the default account was set correctly, but instead the e-mail went from the club’s gmail account and not our own domain.

Turns out that the default account in Outlook is frequently ignored and uses the address for the message store that currently has focus. Now annoyingly i use this every day at work, and i’m aware of the behaviour and actually like it. However, this is not so great for sending of mail merged e-mail.

On having a google around I came across this post http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outlook-2010/multiple-accounts-and-the-default-account/ which details how to get this fixed. I’ve included the registry links after the break should this site go down. Continue reading “Default mail account in Outlook”

Advertisements

Inbox wrangling

A few months ago I started using a tickler file like system in outlook. My inbox got removed from sight and I moved e-mails from there to a ‘working folder’ a couple of times a day. 

This worked well, but there was a lot of moving e-mails about. This was annoying as there is enough metadata in outlook to enable this automatically, so after working with the system I spent some time and implemented using Outlook’s powerful (but under documented) search folders. 

  
My e-mail folders now look like that, with my work flow bring as follows. 

E-mail gets moved into the ‘unprocessed e-mail’ folder a couple of times each day. From there the e-mails are processed (GTD based – email actioned if it will take 2 minutes or less). If the e-mail will take longer a due date is set which will then have it appearing in specific folders. 

Each morning e-mail due  from yesterday gets a quick review and either marked as completed or has the due date altered, which may not necessarily be today.

So far this system is working well – it keeps my inbox clear and means I know exactly what is outstanding.